Teaching your kids to properly brush, floss and take care of their teeth is already hard, but once your kids have braces, it will be more difficult for them. Therefore, as a parent, it is important that you guide your children on how to take care of their teeth while they have braces.
Here are some of Parents Guide that you can use to teach your children on how to take care of braces:
- Teach your children how to brush properly using a soft-bristled toothbrush. You can do this by demonstrating the right brushing technique and then let them do a return demonstration. In doing this, you will be able to assess and evaluate if your child is doing the right thing.
- A slow and gentle circular motion of brushing is the most appropriate way of removing food particles from your children’s gums and teeth. Make sure that your children follow this proper method.
- If your kids’ braces have elastic bands, teach them to remove the elastic bands before brushing.
- Apart from brushing, flossing is an important part of taking care of kids braces. When flossing with braces, your child can use an additional tool called a floss threader. This tool will help clean the spaces between the teeth. However, if flossing is quite difficult for your children, you can let them use a thin interdental toothbrush. Normally, your children’s orthodontist will teach them how to use this special type of toothbrush. As a parent, make sure to guide them at home while using this kind of cleaning brush.
- Remind your child to avoid hard, sticky and crunchy food. These type of foods can break or damage your children’s braces. Also, encourage your kids to eat more well-balanced food and braces-friendly food that are chewable and soft.
- Lastly, one of the most important parent guidelines is just to be there for your children. Your presence can help them focus on what they should and shouldn’t do while on braces. You can also motivate them in keeping a healthy dental habit.
For more information on children’s braces, contact us at Harfield Orthodontics in Calgary!
– Dr. Harfield